Please note that the poems and essays on this site are copyright and may not be reproduced without the author's permission.


Saturday 3 April 2010

Samuel Beckett: Apodosis


.

File:Mondrian Comp10.jpg




If only I could make an effort, an effort of attention, to try and discover what's happening, what's happening to me, what then, I don't know, I've forgotten my apodosis, but I can't, I don't hear any more, I'm sleeping, they call that sleeping, there they are again, we'll have to start killing them again, I hear this horrible noise, coming back takes time, I don't know where from, I was nearly there, I was nearly sleeping, I call that sleeping, there is no one but me, there was never anyone but me, here I mean, elsewhere is another matter, I was never elsewhere, here is my only elsewhere, it's I who do this thing and I who suffer it, it's not possible otherwise, it's not possible so, it's not my fault, all I can say is that it's not my fault, it's not anyone's fault, since there isn't anyone it can't be anyone's fault, since there isn't anyone but me it can't be mine, sometimes you'd think I was reasoning, I've no objection, they must have taught me reasoning too, they must have begun teaching me, before they deserted me, I don't remember that period, but it must have marked me, I don't remember having been deserted, perhaps I received a shock.




File:Black Square.jpg




Samuel Beckett: from The Unnamable (translated from the French by the author, 1959)

Composition No. 10: Piet Mondrian, 1939-42 (private collection)
Black Square: Kazimir Malevich, 1913 (Russian State Museum, Saint Petersburg)
>>

No comments: