Please note that the poems and essays on this site are copyright and may not be reproduced without the author's permission.


Wednesday 7 October 2009

Cayenne (Keats, February-March 1819)


.



File:Large Cayenne.jpg





I drank claret without restraint for six weeks
I coated my throat with pepper in order to enjoy
The claret better. My funds grew low. I felt idle, my throat
Continued to hurt. I ended my relations with Isabella

Jones. If I have ever met a woman whom I really
Think would like to be married to a poem
And would like to be given away by a novel: Isabella Jones,
Of whom I have had no libidinous thought

Until provoked by her, when we drank whiskey
In her rooms, and had a curious feast.
She gave me a pheasant to take away, but to this day
I don't know who caught whom; nor what the game was.







File:Pheasant Fowling Showing how to catch Pheasants Fac simile of a Miniature in the Manuscript of the Livre du Roy Modus Fourteenth Century.png







A large Cayenne: photo by André Karwath, 2004
Pheasant Fowling: "Showing how to catch Pheasants": from the Livre du Roy Modus, 14th c.

from TC: Junkets on a Sad Planet: Scenes from the Life of John Keats

2 comments:

u.v.ray. said...

"My funds grew low. I felt idle, my throat Continued to hurt."

Dunno about you, Tom. But I know the feeling well.

human being said...

" but to this day
I don't know who caught whom; nor what the game was."


WOW! WOW!
what and ending!