Please note that the poems and essays on this site are copyright and may not be reproduced without the author's permission.


Wednesday 14 October 2009

"In this river..."


.


File:Diffraction pattern in spiderweb.JPG





In the eerie phosphorous
green light that needles down

in the middle of the dream
she sleeps with mouth wide open

as if to gasp or cry out
a black sun is rocked

In this river of stars and exile
longing rage apartness sorrow

love and hate light streams
through space tearing open a mouth






Detail 1 Detail 2







Diffraction pattern in a spiderweb: photo by Mila Zinkova, 2007
Optical effects of light diffraction on spiderwebs (details): photos by Dietrich Zawischa, from What are the origins of colour?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ethereal. Made up of the materials dreams are made of. I just loved it.

Delia Psyche said...

The phosphorescence of your weedy distichs leaves a ghostimage palely loitering in my mind's eye: a serpentine river or riverine serpent--a phosphorescent eel slithering amid the coldly glowing, piscine words your poetry has spawned in the aquarium of my skull.

TC said...

David,

I was born under the sign of Pisces. As to the aquarium of your skull (I think of Keats's curiously cerebro-weedy line, "The working trellis of a living brain"), I can't think of anywhere I'd rather my poetry spawned.

Lucy,

Many thanks. Air, light and water. The unstable materials dreams and life are made of.

. said...

Brilliant! with the teeth of dreams.

L.