Please note that the poems and essays on this site are copyright and may not be reproduced without the author's permission.


Saturday 4 December 2010

He did not know (Prospero's Isle)


.

File:FernandoDeNoronhaPraiaSancho.jpg

Praia Sacho, Fernando de Noronha archipelago, off the coast of Brazil: photo by Bjørn Christian Tøorrisen, 2006



He did not know
it's the same old trick
every time; that
in the mystery
waves
speech makes, the world
and mind
are pitched up on the rocks

Prospero did not know
how he got there

island vacations
are like that



File:Wake Island.png

Wake Island: NASA NLT Landsat 7 (Visible Color) satellite image: photo by NASA, 2005

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

wonderful pic ...interesting words....you remind me of Robinson Crusoe...:)

TC said...

Gracias, Sandra.

I'm overdue for an island vacation.

Anonymous said...

in the mystery
waves
speech makes, the world
and mind
are pitched up on the rocks

This and the other lines/sentences are beautifully said and ring true for me.

I'm hearing you on the island vacation sentiment in a big way.

The Brazil beach looks splendid. Wake Island looks like an enormous swimming pool set in the ocean. I just revisited Wake's history and remembered some of what I had forgotten. Things seem to have settled down there.

TC said...

Curtis,

Let's at least agree to experience that island vacation from a reasonable imaginative distance.

Indeed that beach could not be farther from the world around me at present if it were a dust cloud in the tail of the Andromeda galaxy.

But happily, one can, in rare fugitive moments, pick the spots where one chooses to imagine oneself.

See you there, then.

STEPHEN RATCLIFFE said...

Tom,

Would that we could go there, but as Caliban reminds him, "This island's mine, by Sycorax my mother". . . .

Robb said...

This will stay with me for a while. Especially this:

in the mystery
waves
speech makes, the world
and mind
are pitched up on the rocks

Bradorn, Tom. Bradorn.

TC said...

I'm booking two tickets to the isle of Bradorn right now -- one for me, and one for my mother, Sycorax.

Elmo St. Rose said...

Shakespeare had friends on
Prospero's island

Shakespeare grasped the new world

This rough magic

TC said...

Elmo,

In that respect, as well as perhaps one or two others, Shakespeare was several leagues ahead of yours truly.