Please note that the poems and essays on this site are copyright and may not be reproduced without the author's permission.


Sunday 21 February 2010

Radio


.

File:The PVR.jpg





Don't hurt the radio for
Against all
Solid testimony machines
Have feelings
Too

Brush past it lightly
With a fine regard
For allowing its molecules
To remain 100% intact

Machines can think like Wittgenstein
And the radio's a machine
Thinking softly to itself
Of the Midnight Flower
As her tawny parts unfold

In slow motion the boat
Rocks on the ocean
As her tawny parts unfold

The radio does something mental
To itself singingly
As her tawny parts unfold
Inside its wires
And steal away its heart

Two minutes after eleven
The color dream communicates itself
The ink falls on the paper as if magically
The scalp falls away
A pain is felt
Deep in the radio

I take out my larynx and put it on the blue chair
And do my dance for the radio
It's my dance in which I kneel in front of the radio
And while remaining motionless elsewise
Force my eyeballs to come as close together as possible
While uttering a horrible and foreign word
Which I cannot repeat to you without now removing my larynx
And placing it on the blue chair

The blue chair isn't here
So I can't do that trick at the present time

The radio is thinking a few licks of its own
Pianistic thoughts attuned to tomorrow's grammar
Beautiful spas of seltzery coition
Plucked notes like sandpaper attacked by Woody Woodpecker

The radio says Edwardian farmers form Minnesota march on the Mafia
Armed with millions of radioactive poker chips

The radio fears foul play
It turns impersonal
A piggy bank was smashed
A victim was found naked
Radio how can you tell me this
In such a chipper tone

Your structure of voices is a friend
The best kind
The kind one can turn on or off
Whenever one wants to
But that is wrong I know
For you will intensely to continue
And in a deeper way
You do

Hours go by
And I watch you
As you diligently apply
A series of audible frequencies
To tiny receptors
Located inside my cranium
Resulting in much pleasure for someone
Who looks like me
Although he is seated about two inches to my left
And the both of us
Are listening to your every word
With a weird misapprehension
It's the last of the tenth
And Harmon Killebrew is up
With a man aboard

He blasts a game winning home run
The 559th of his career
But no one cares
Because the broadcast is studio-monitored for taping
To be replayed in 212 years

Heaven must be like this, radio
To not care about anything
Because it's all being taped for replay much later

Heaven must be like this
For as her tawny parts unfold
The small lights swim roseate
As if of sepals were the tarp made
As it is invisibly unrolled
And sundown gasps its old Ray Charles 45 of "Georgia"
Only through your voice





File:RadioCapelinha.jpg





from At Malibu, 1975

Old radio
: photo by Duncan Rawlinson, 2004

Radio Capelinha da Semp: photo by Amatnecks, 2009

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

A time machine, without any doubt.

P.S.: I love Ray Charles :D

Carol Peters said...

Love the photo, too :-)

TC said...

Hello Duncan,

And thanks for the photo. With photos from Commons I always put full attribution at the bottom of the post, so that interested readers can easily find their way to the photographer via Google.

I see you're doing some work at the Vancouver Olympics. I'll highlight your link here so people can get to you directly.

The Last Minute Blog

Anonymous said...

solid state testimony
but fluid poem
the blue chair was
tubular

TC said...

Lucy,

Yes, that's exactly what this is, and in more ways than one.


Carol,

The lower photo is a vintage Brazilian "Capelhina" model, manufactured by a company named Semp. Or so I gather.


Zev,

It must have been.