Please note that the poems and essays on this site are copyright and may not be reproduced without the author's permission.


Saturday 9 May 2009

Baseball and Classicism




File:Jean-Baptiste-Camille Corot - Orphée.jpg




Every day I peruse the box scores for hours
Sometimes I wonder why I do it
Since I am not going to take a test on it
And no one is going to give me money

The pleasure’s something like that of codes
Of deciphering an ancient alphabet say
So as brightly to picturize Eurydice
In the Elysian Fields on her perfect day

The day she went 5 for 5 against Vic Raschi




http://www.baseball-cards.com/jpgs/1951b/025.jpg




Orphée ramenant Eurydice des enfers: Jean-Baptiste-Camille Corot, 1861 (Museum of Fine Arts, Houston)

Vic Raschi: 1951 Bowman baseball card


2 comments:

Nora said...

I love this.

TC said...

Thanks Nora.

Somewhat interestingly--and happily--Vic Raschi liked it too, according to one of his liquor store customers, who kindly penned a note to me on the subject, many years ago, back when Eurydice was a mere girl.