Please note that the poems and essays on this site are copyright and may not be reproduced without the author's permission.


Thursday 11 June 2009

The Riddle

.


File:Dawn Xepon Laos.jpg




When the answer
Cannot be put into words

The question
Cannot be put into words

The riddle does not exist
So it's good morrow

As day's lovely banner unfurls
In the world

Blue dawn suffused
With red and gold

Before the dogs
And birds awake

I walk with beauty
Like the night

Down the dark cliff
To the murmuring sea

On the path to enlightenment
And inner peace

With one black eye
And a bloody lip




File:Red sunrise.jpg





Early morning, Xepon, Laos: photo by Peter Rimar. 2007

Red sunrise: photo by Fir0002, 2004

3 comments:

Phanero Noemikon said...

Oh my god I love this one!
simple. but effective to the max!!
TC!

Stu said...

Tom, I'd say the black eye and bloody lip are what make this quintessentially 'Zen'. Inner peace 'don't come easy' sometimes...

Sometimes I feel the riddle (whatever it is) doesn't exist, at other times I'm all for riddling...

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.